Saturday, March 21, 2009

Un-Model Essays 2005/6: Spring Cleaning

Every year, when a special occasion arises, we carry out a major clean up of the house. This time, the annual spot check was just around the corner, motivating us to do a spot of spring-cleaning.



We started early in the morning, each of us selecting a different job. Em and Hil took the kitchen and living room while May took the bathroom. I picked the toilet. May turned on the radio to give us some music as we worked and we scrubbed away merrily.



I took to my job enthusiastically, scrubbing hard at the sink and the toilet bowl. They were soon sparkling white but the mosaic floor still stared at me dully, with black smudges between its white cracks. I contemplated it a moment, then rolled up my sleeves and set to it with brushes of various shapes and sizes and a cup of diluted multi-purpose cleaning liquid.



After about an hour of hard work, the floor was finally as spotless as I could manage. I looked at it with pride then got the mop and mopped up all the soap water as there was no drainage hole. I mopped it again with clean water for thoroughness sake, and then had a peek at the rest of the house.



Lo and behold, they had worked wonders. Em and Hil especially, with their inborn tidiness had made the living room spick-and-span. We beamed at each other happily and then I went to prepare my room for the inspection.



This was done rapidly as I shoved everything into the cupboard and under the bed. “Out of sight, out of mind,” I said to myself and proceeded to vacuum the room. When I had finished, I cast my eye over my handiwork and felt a sense of fulfilment surge within me. It had altogether been a fruitful morning.

No comments: